Sunday, April 27, 2014

G - Goals


I think one way to be the most successful at meeting goals is to put them "out there".


Letting the world (or a few friends and family) what you want to achieve is a great way to stay accountable.

Some of my running goals this year are to:


*PR at my "A" marathon this fall (sub 4:20 or better)
*Finish double 5ks and double marathons (29.3 miles, 2 days in a row) #teamstupid


*Complete an ultra (50k or more) trail marathon


*Attend 100 barre classes so I can get those awesome red socks!


*Run a cumulative total of 1540 miles this year.  Why 1540?  That's the distance from me to my I Run 4 buddy Kyan!


Long term....

*Complete 50 marathons by the time I am 50 - I am definitely picking up the pace
*Get faster
*Get that sub 2 marathon
*Run in places I love...Paris, London and one Ryan loves, Tokyo

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7497847751512860576#editor/target=post;postID=832451768238543400;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=1;src=link
*Complete grad school in the same year I turn 40 (yikes! I'm going to be 40?!)
This is taking every ounce of my extra will power at this point.  I have been "in school" for almost three years to get to this point, taking a wrong turn along the way.  I am in the home stretch of my last fluff, but not really fluff, class - nursing leadership.  At this point I think I could teach the class.  I only have 3 classes left before I get to the exhausting part, the clinical hours.

BUT....it will be worth it.  It will be worth it.  It will be worth it.  Right?

An *always* goal...
Be the best mom, girlfriend, daughter, friend, furmom, nurse and colleague I can be.  Every day.


Most of these goals seem pretty easy compared to my current goal...

Clean up my diet.


This one is much harder than it sounds.  Most people tell me, "you can eat that, as much as you want, you'll run it off".  True, but not really.

I am sugar addict (the first step is admitting it, right?).  I love sugary and sweet things.  I nibble on them all day.  Cookie are my favorite, followed by cupcakes and chocolate chips.

I am leading a "clean eating challenge" with my running group and I feel like a failure as a role model.

Some days have been *ok* days, others?  Epic disasters.


Cupcakes and I have a love/hate relationship these days that no one dare tear apart.

I am resolving to myself as I write this to do *better* tomorrow.

I am not looking to start some crazy low calorie diet or feel the need to drop 10, 20lbs.  I just want to feel good.

I cut out the sugar pretty consistently last summer and felt *awesome*.

No afternoon headaches.  No post lunch crashes.  My skin looked great and I had a lot of energy.  I permanently cut out the daily cokes, and that was a *huge* win for me (I can still say this holds true).


After the Easter candy weekend I had...not so much.

I find it easy to give others advice, because it is what I should be doing.  It is what I strive to do.

With all the running, barre and strength training I do, I feel like I am being so unfair to my body by teasing it with some good stuff and then putting in some bad.  Being a bit of an emotional eater doesn't help either. 


On Wednesday I burned almost 1k calories (this is not an uncommon amount for me), but my food baby would reveal otherwise.

I don't overeat, I undereat.  Most days I have a 200-500 calorie deficit. My problems is that I under nourish.

Another blogger Mindy, was using My Fitness Pal.  I thought it looked kind of cool, so I started using it.

How eye opening it was to see what I was really putting in my body.  How short I was of some nutrients.  Lacking protein. Heavy on carbs.  Most importantly how much extra sugar I was consuming.

Too much sugar over time can not only lead to obesity, but can harden the arteries by elevating triglyceride (a component of cholesterol) levels.  Too much sugar impairs the immune system, making one more susceptible to illness, increases risk for Type 2 Diabetes and even some types of cancer.


You would think that with all that I know about nutrition, and a lack there of, I would know better!

I kind of liken it to all the nurses I've worked with over the years that smoked, mostly the ones at the first facility I worked at as a nurse.  Lord knows they knew better - seeing people suffer from COPD and lung cancer, but yet took advantage of all the smoke breaks they could.  Not judging, just saying...

So, tomorrow starts another week of *trying* to eat better.


Baby steps....

What is a current goal of yours that you struggle with?






No comments:

Post a Comment