Monday, June 9, 2014

Stonebridge Memorial Day 10k - Race Review

Every year on Memorial Day, there is a 5 and 10k race in my neighborhood. 

I freaking love this kind of race. 

The one where I can leave my house and be at the start 3 minutes later.

Pick up my packet on race day in 20 seconds or less.

Show up for 10 minutes prior, pick up my packet and STILL have time for a picture with my friends!

This is a race I have participated in every year since I became an avid runner (2010).

The first year I did ok...around 1:02 and since then I've challenged myself to get a sub 1 on this *really* challenging course. 

First of all, it is *really* hilly.  The race director is great at creating these challenging course, but dang!  Sometimes a girl just likes some flat road!

This year's course was a bit different from last year and years before that, it was *little* bit flatter, but not much.

Anyway, I met my friend Letty from MRTT and Lifetime Run at the start.  We chatted for a bit and soon we were off.


She is a bit faster than me, but I was pretty happy that I was able to keep up with her for the first couple of miles! 

It was hot and humid and even kind of muddy as it was raining on and off too.

The last time I had an experience with my neighborhood race and rain (Labor Day 10k), I got upset that I wasn't doing well and walked home.  This is a downside to being so close to the course...it goes right by my house!

That wasn't going to happen again this day.  The rain actually felt *really* good and made things feel a bit less sticky.  It *is* kind of fun to run in the rain!


I finished a *little* over my goal time, but managed to stay below 10 mins/mile. 

Splits looked like this:



 

Elevation like this:

I told you it was hilly!!

So this *was* supposed to be a 10k and I know GPS can be off a bit, but I got a whopping 6.5 miles out of this race, which was kind of frustrating to me.  It really *felt* like 6.5.  In fact, I'm sure it wasn't that far off because I run this route, or something similar ALL OF THE TIME.  It's a 6.5 mile route.  Oh well.

My speedy friend Letty ended of getting 2nd in her AG and my other friend Marissa got 3rd!  Woohoo!!

We met up with two sweet sisters from MRTT after the race as well - new friends Sandy and Melissa.  It was Melissa's first 5k!  They did a great job!


This is one of my favorite races all year.  I'm not sure why.  It's kind of small, there is nothing spectacular about it, but it was one of my *first* races ever and I think that's why it holds a special place in my heart. 

 A couple of throwbacks to 2010 (left) and 2011 (right) with my friend Melissa.  I was a little sunburned!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your race! Hills suck, even small ones! I am amazed that you still kept it under 10 min/mi despite the humidity and hills... YOU ROCK!! Maybe, just maybe, someday I will be as good as you! :)

    ReplyDelete