Thursday, August 8, 2013

Progress!

Marathon training has been going great!  I love having a coach! Getting my training plan each week is something I have started to really look forward to.  I *love* seeing how I can challenge myself next.  I am on a recovery week, with only one minor speed session, but because I flip flopped it with a run last weekend, I’ve got 18 miles staring me down this weekend.  Yikes! Just 10 weeks left to rock my training plan.


I’ve been religious with Tabata training, only taking two weeks off due to being out of town.  It has become my staple workout for the week.   What is tabata training?  It is a series of intense work (20 seconds) followed by a short rest (10 seconds), rinse and repeat 8 times per set.  Basically it’s High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  It torches fat, builds endurance and overall strength.  I have never taken a group fitness class that has benefited my endurance and strength more than this one.  My core is stronger than ever!  This may or may not be evidenced by the fact that I can plank for 6+ minutes (I even had a small crowd of witnesses for that one).  My lower back does not ache any longer during really long runs and I’ve gained the confidence to workout at the gym in a sports bra (ok….on Sunday’s only when few people have to see that).  Tabata is the *BoMb*!!  

 **disclaimer:  my abs DO NOT look like this....I just wish they did!

I've been participating in a "Robertofit" challenge, hosted by a friend of mine from Lifetime Fitness.  The challenge started as 50 sit ups, 50 push ups, 50 squats - increase by 5 each day.  Plank to increase by 15 seconds each day, resulting in the 6+ minute plank.  I've been doing a "plank a day" for over a month, so it seemed like a good challenge to boost my fitness and plankworthiness even more!  It worked! Roberto also offers Insanity/P90 workouts during the week....that is on my list to try next! It seems like he has a really fun, positive group. 

That's right....like a BOSS!

I also signed up for the “Esprit De She” this fall. Several of my friends from Moms Run This Town talked me into it!  It will be a 2 mile run, 9 mile bike ride, 2 mile run.  A week after the Nike Women’s Marathon.  Smart, right?  In order to prepare, I decided it was high time to start getting in some bike riding.  My bike Pink and I went out for a 10 mile spin last week and I plan to try and incorporate the same distance at least once a week.  I am not speedy by any means, but Pink is not exactly a racing bike (although she is great for carrying drinks and snacks!).  

 Pink....my favorite birthday present *ever*!!

My race calendar has blossomed since early summer and now looks like this:

October 12 - Showdown Half Marathon, Allen, TX
October 20 – Nike Women’s Half Marathon, San Francisco, CA
October 26 – Esprit De She, McKinney, TX
November 3 – Rocky Raccoon 50k, Huntsville, TC
November 9 – McKinney Mini Marathon (though there is nothing “mini” about it, it’s a half) McKinney, TX
December 31 – New Year’s Eve Full, Allen, TX
January 18, 2014, Houston Marathon, Houston, TX

Some of these races are only 6 days apart, what was I thinking?

I’m thinking I will really be able to test myself and see what I’m capable of!
I’m thinking I am going to have a blast with some of my new running friends at local events!
I'm thinking that with the power of a running buddy, we will crush the sub two half (finally!)!
I’m thinking I am going to have a whole lot of race shirts!
I’m thinking I am going to meet my 4 corner marathon self challenge (only the west coast was missing from North, South, East, West)
I’m thinking I am going to get A LOT of massages!!


What races are you doing this fall?

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That's amazing! Tips, tips! Now that I live less than a mile from the lake, I want to start running again. Where to start?! I can never seem to get past a certain point; I swear my lungs don't want to do it!

    Keep up the great work!! *jealous!* ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wish I could plank for 1 minute but six? Maybe that should be my goal for post Baby❤

    ReplyDelete